Monday, June 10

English 2

English 2

Class Assignment 1

The broccoli I bought for the assignment.
The first class assignment that was given by our lecturer, Mr. Woon was about observing a type of vegetable and write an essay about it. The vegetable I had chosen was broccoli. When we were told during class that we should only write down what was being observed by using our five senses, I was shocked and lost. At first, it was difficult and I had struggled for some time. Then after a few days, I tried to start looking carefully at the broccoli while writing down what I had observed. Step by step, using the sense of hearing, touch, see, smell and taste, I started to realise it was actually quite fun and interesting.
That night, I had finished jotting the observations I have made within a few hours. Then I started to do my essay and completed it by the next day. I felt a relief after I have completed this assignment as it was quite challenging to me a first. However, with the help and guidance from my lecturer, Mr. Woon, I have successfully completed this assignment and obtained good results. 


My vegetable and I.


The mind map I have constructed as the prewriting for the essay. 

Thank you =)






Class assignment 2.




In this assignment, we were required to compare any two English language drama series or programme series. There are two intended learning outcomes for this assignment. The first learning outcome is the discipline specific knowledge, which says about the foundation knowledge in relevant subjects and to understand ethical issues in the context of the field of studies. Another learning outcome is the lifelong learning. It required us to locate and extract information effectively, also relate learned knowledge to everyday life.
In order to achieve these intended learning outcomes, we have to find the correct and precise information for the relevant topic given. We also need be well disciplined and avoid any intention to plagiarise other people’s work.

The two movies I had chosen to contrast were “The King’s Speech” and “The Young Victoria”. These are both famous historical movies, however there are still a lot of differences between them. My weakness in writing this compare or contrast essay are that I am not very certain about the format and I have done some grammatically mistakes. Therefore, I felt that the best strategy to write a good essay is to read more and practice more. I hope to improve my vocabulary and strengthen my way of writing an essay.

Thank you =)





Class assignment 3.



The third class assignment that was given by my lecturer, Mr. Woon is the class debate. Whereby, we were asked to form a group and debate about a specific topic with our opponent. My group mates are Yeo Hui Zhen and Wong Yii Shin. The topic that was assigned to us was “Philippines is not being a good neighbour to Malaysia”.
At first, when I look at the topic I felt that we certainly couldn’t get a lot of information and I am so worried as I have never done a debate before. After some discussion with my group mates. We decided to do some research about this topic through some e-newspaper. Surprisingly, it was not that difficult to find the information relate to this topic. After that, we started to write down the points and divide it among our group members.
On the day of the class debate, the three of us were very nervous and we were trembling. We were the first group and we could just try our best to perform the debate. However, my group did not done very well and I am quite disappointed to myself. My weakness on this assignment are that I do not have enough confidence while speaking infront especially when I have to argue with an opponent. Thus, I will try to practice harder and improve myself on the speaking task.
Thank you =)







Assignment 2


For the assignment 2, it was a group work and we were required to prepare a research paper based on the site that we have visited. The intended learning outcomes for this assignment are 1, 2 and 3. These learning outcomes are as follow, to  identify the key issues in the question and explain them clearly and logically, next, to demonstrate the ability to prepare questionnaires and interviews to obtain information about the topic. In addition, do demonstrate the ability to analyse and synthesize information and compile them in the report. Moreover, to communicate the relevant ideas and analysis in clear, logical and appropriate academic English. Lastly, to select and present infomation clearly and appropriately to one’s target audience.

Thus, to achived these intended learning outcomes, we should be able to analyse the requirement for the research report. We also must be able to get the right information through the interview conducted and from other sources.

My group mate is Wong Li Hui Amy and the area we have decided to do research on is the pastry businesses. The first shop that we did research on is Ming Xiang Tai Pastry Shop, Penang. The second and third shops are based in Klang Valley, which are the Mr. Siew Bao Sunway Pyramid and Cookie Box Empire Shopping Gallery Subang. Therefore, my weakness on this assignment are that I am not very clear about the format of a research report and I could not find a lot sources to complete my report. Hence, I hope to improve in the ability to recognise the format of a report and writing skills. Finally, I would like to express my gratitude to my lecturer, Mr Woon for being patient and attentive throughout this semester.

The cookie box owner and Me.

Mr. Siew Bao’s supervisor and me.

Ming Xiang Tai Pastry Shop, Penang. Their supervisor and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment